Thursday, October 19, 2006

Obvious discovery of the day : Little Davy Jones is English!


No really, humour me on this one...

While channel-surfing on Sky last night I ended up watched part of "Daydream Believers: The Monkees Story".

Now I haven't seen an episode of The Monkees since I was knee-high to a grasshopper back in the mid '70s and I think I was vaguely aware back then that this was an American show.

So last night as I was noting the fine job that actor George Stanchev (who incidentally in from Bulgaria) was making of Little Davy Jones's voice I heard him use some English slang. Just as I was pondering the dual of Americans throwing in English words into conversation in the same way we might attempt dodgy American accents for effect, it hit me that Jones was in fact an Englishman.

*insert sound of cogs speeding up and ending with a lobby bell 'ding'*

The point of all this is not the realisation but the reason I didn't realise before. It would seem that Little Davy Jones, being born in Manchester and growing up performing on the stage in London and appearing on TV in Coronation Street, had incredibly, always had an English accent.

So I conclude that when you are so familiar with a particular actor's voice (having heard it right from a very young age) you just hear the voice as that person's voice and any accent just merges into the uniqueness. I did exactly the same thing with Sean Connery, not twigging that he was a Scot until probably in my teens. It was just his unique voice that I heard.

No comments: