For once I just don't see the point.
In the wake of the Sony PSP stampedes, a chap in England has shelled out almost £8000 on ebay to secure himself a one. According to the report this now gives him the ability to surf the web, download music and videos and watch movies.
Well last time I checked, my little PC can do all of these things for a lot less money. It may fall short in the state-of-the-art gaming department, but for the money I saved I can do 'reality' thrills. I can go snowboarding, wakeboarding, skydiving, paintballing or clay pigeon shooting. Alternatively I can experience safer thrills in a theme park or a holiday in Vegas. I can travel to far off lands or if I really wanted some pixelated hand-eye coordination, I could buy a £1 TV tennis unit in stunning orange at the bootfair down the road, where I know I'll get as much game-play as I would playing the latest incarnation of Grand Theft Auto.
OK so I know this isn't my bag and as Mr John has just pointed out, some people would view actually leaving the house to go snowboarding as abhorrent. But even so, £8000 when he could just wait a month or so...
3 comments:
That is absolutely ridiculous! I agree with your take on the situation. Why does he need it RIGHT NOW? Unless he can parlay it into press coverage - uh, yeah - and turn that into some kind of income - what a foolish form of speculation. There's no way to recoup that unless he can find someone a pound more foolish.
I see your point, for sure.
I have to disagree.
Although I will not be getting one for other reasons (Money grabbing Sony), the PS3 has Blu-Ray!
Anyway £8000 for a PS3 is better than $900 for 3 PSXs on eBay
I'd agree with Ho - people get different kicks out of life - I like gaming and although I wouldn't pay that kind of money, if it makes him happy and gives him the feeling that he has some sort of status symbol (for a week) - then bully for him.
I had a mate who used to always buy the latest gaming systems from Japan - whether it was the PC Engine and could only get 3 games for it in the UK - whatever he had to have it, he was a gaming freak!
Liken it to a new car - it's never going to be an investment, its always going to depreciate in value, you know older versions can give you a lot more fun, but isn't it nice and shiny - and isn't it good that you are the only one to have the newest version - even if you had paid over the odds and it is only for a couple of months.
Post a Comment