Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Curse of the Delayed Write Error

With the new Seagate "160GB" drive installed into the TC1100 and formatted to the full binary-adjusted 149GB I once again set about rebuilding the PC. So I had spent the entire day loading the operating system, installing all the updates, installing all the drivers, loading in the applications, entering the registration keys, tweaking up the interfaces, copying across all my pictures, music, documents and files, importing all the archived data and generally dotting all the i's and crossing the t's.

That's when things starting throwing up error messages and apps starting shutting down in the blinking of an eye. The real tell-tale was the ominous "Delayed Write" error message. I had seen these a couple of times before with 3.5" drives and both times they spelled doom.

I rebooted and was imformed "error with operating system". This seemed to be a permanent fatal error and when I tried plugging the drive into the Pavilion laptop, it was seen as an unformatted disc.

To cut the rest of the story short, I repeated the process once again (this time spreading the effort over two days) only to get the same outcome. Not wanting to give up on the benefits of 149GB I organised sending back the Seagate and replaced it with a Hitachi version. This drive claimed a lower operating power requirement and things went splendidly with all those i's dotted and t's crossed once again, right up to the point of failing to boot up.

With four full installations now under my belt, I reverted to the tried and tested 100GB NON-PERPENDICULAR drive on which I am successfully writing this blog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. Did a similar thing a while back with my Music collection. Luckly most of it was copied elsewhere but it was very annoying.
Taking this into account I think in future I am going to burn in all HDD for a day using something like bonnie++[1] before I commit any data to them. Problem is it is just so difficult not to just start playing with them!
[1]http://www.coker.com.au/bonnie++/