Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Consolidating in The Cloud

Having installed iPhone 2.0 and several new freebie applications, I took a look at the new Apple Mobile Me website. This prompted me to take a look at the various apps (both mobile and PC-based) that I was using and pare down the (too many) options.

I've been using Yahoo email for years now although these days I POP the mail to outlook and hardly ever use the online website to send mail. I've also been using Gmail for a while too along with Google reader and the shared calendars.

Weighing up the various mail, calendars, contact books and so on took the plunge and imported my entire outlook mail archive to Gmail. Took a few hours for the upload but the whole process was a doddle thanks to this how-to guide.

Next step was to forward all my incoming Yahoo mail to Gmail. I need to keep the account for Flickr logon anyway. I love Google Calendars but haven't yet found a way to sync ALL the calendars to outlook and then to my iPhone. However the Google mobile browser does a fine job of keeping tabs and now I have access to my email history and more via my iPhone.

The only drawback is the contacts didn't import nicely from outlook, losing the address info in the process. I really liked the Mobile Me outlook format but I don't want to use more than one service provider if I can help it and I certainly don't want to pay $99 per year for the service I get free with Google.

So for now Google is my one-stop shop.

No comments: